Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Passions

I feel so fortunate to have had parents that were so passionate about music. Both were musically talented, could play instruments, and sing. I remember at the age of 3 hearing music in our house. “The Game of Love” playing on my record player and me thinking it was my dad singing. I remember learning how to play records on the record player at the age of 4, and bawling my eyes out when my favorite album got stepped on and broken. I remember growing up and hearing Neil Diamond on the big Zenith cabinet record player and watching my mom dance and sing around the house for us. The first concert I remember going to was Neil Diamond in 1976. I was 6 years old…although mom reports I first saw ND at the Minnesota State Fair in 1973…so I stand corrected. It’s since been a family tradition to see him when he visits our state. We can’t get enough of the memories that his music brings for us.

It was then, in that era, that I learned to love music. That music frees your soul. It frees your mind, body, and spirit. It does. It’s a universal language that everyone understands. It’s something that we can all relate to in one way or another. It relaxes and excites all at the same time. It soothes all your worries and frees you of any presence in the real world for the moment. It’s an escape. I try to pass this along to my children as I always felt that music made the world go around. I think I’ve succeeded…my 3 girls all sing along with me in the van on the way to town and on the way home…especially if we hear one of our favorite songs. We might sound really bad, but we are having a blast singing that song like we were performing in concert at the XCEL Center. And yes, I turn it way up so we don’t hear ourselves sing…it’s that bad…lol. Those are the kinds of moments that I hope my children will cherish and remember as much as I do.

I never learned to play an instrument so well that I could just pick it up and play without reading the music. My dad was talented like that. He played by ear. My mom reads music and used to give lessons, but never taught us because she didn’t want to push it on us, and we never showed interest. This is one of my goals in life. I will learn to play the piano one day. Maybe not quite like Vanessa Carlton or my dad, but still I WILL learn. I did take Violin lessons in the 5th grade, but the love for the instrument was not enough then. My passion for the piano though, is very strong and even more so now. I’ve always loved and I mean REALLY LOVED to watch and listen to my dad play. He was amazing. I could play a song for him, and he’d play it right back to me. I was in awe to say the least. I never knew people did that—played by ear—like that. Amazing. And then you add lyrics to the music and call it a song. Even more amazing. And when you can relate to those lyrics in a way that it touches you deep into your heart and soul, you have discovered my passion for music. Welcome to my world. Glad to have you here, my friend.

I listen to just about every genre out there. Everything but Classical. That’ll put me to sleep for sure. But Rock, Pop, Country, Jazz, Rap, Soul, R&B, Funk, Grunge, and even Heavy Metal. You name it, I bet I got something for it. I’ve become very diverse with my music. I’m very proud of my musical library and it’s diversity. Once again, I hope my children recognize that they are learning to be musically diverse people. I think they are learning. My son likes that song “John Deere Green” by Joe Diffie as well as Nickelback’s “Rockstar”. I think he’s finally catching on.

As I sit here listening to KS95 on my radio at work and writing this up, I realize that in every single song, there is at least one line that I can make mine. I understand the language. Now if the rest of the world would all speak the same language, this world would be full of peace, love, and serenity.

Sorry to ramble on about this and call me demented and delusional, but music truly makes my world go around. Ask anyone that knows me. They’ll back me up on this, more than likely.

Now go find your passion…*wink*

(And 2 posts in one day...I'm on a roll now!)

No comments: